Monday, March 1, 2010

Navigating the Dark Night of the Soul

That's the title of the workshop that I'm starting to offer (http://tinyurl.com/despinawk), having been through several dark nights of the soul and having come out on the other side. I figure that there are many people entering this dark part of their spiritual journey, and perhaps I can offer some guide posts to make their path easier to travel. I learned some lessons the hard way. Perhaps other people can benefit and have an easier time of it.

I used to think that I had to become enlightened (what ever that means) before I could support people on their spiritual path. But it finally occured to me that I would be waiting for a long time. In the meantime, I can't stop discussing spiritual issues. That's where my heart is. That's where my passion is. That's what I should be doing.

A friend helped me by saying, "You don't have to be enlightened to teach. You just have to know more than your students." That makes sense to me. So I've been praying to be a true teacher and to offer the gifts I have joyfully and with humility.

It's clear to me that life isn't about suffering and sacrifice. If you follow that which gives you joy, then you are doing what you came here to do. If you are not following your heart's desire, if you are not offering your gifts, then the Universe (God, what ever you wish to call the higher power) will send you a wake up call. First it will be a light tap on the shoulder. If you don't listen, it will become a stronger tap. Then a punch. Then the rug will be pulled out from under you, your whole life will collapse, and you will go through the dark night of the soul. This is not a punishment. It's grace pulling you away from the things that were causing you pain: the loveless marriage, the boring job, the energy-draining friends, etc.

I just read a quote from Seth, channeled by Jane Roberts, which states:
Organize your reality according to your strength, playfulness, dreams, joy, and hopes. Then you can help those who organize their reality according to their fears.

I found this to be profound, and I hope I am doing that.

No comments: