Friday, November 26, 2010

Getting paid to do what you love. What a concept!

For several years psychics have been telling me that my life's path involves counseling people one-on-one. When I first heard this, it felt right to me. That's what I love to do. Over the 20 years that I have been on what I consider my "spiritual" journey, and with the hundreds of books that I have read, I have a clarity that can support other people. But how do I start a counseling career when my resume is all about my MBA and data analysis?

What I have found is that when something is meant to be, it will happen organically. If I'm suppose to be a counselor then somehow events will occur without my having to do much. And that seems to be the case. A while ago a friend who does massages offered me a trade: a counseling session for a massage. I took it gladly as she is a wonderful masseuse. And I got to help her with her issue, which truly I would have done for free.

This week another friend asked me if I would do counseling with him. He had checked out other counselors on the internet and found that their qualifications weren't better than mine. Plus he had attended one of my workshops and felt he had learned something. So today we had our first phone session together. For me this session was not work. It was a joy to listen to him and support him. His sending me a check is gravy--much needed gravy. But I still can't believe that someone paid me to do something I love.

That's been my prayer: to no longer have to "work" but instead to support myself by doing what I love, which is supporting others on their life's path. I think this is the beginning of the answer to my prayer.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and I find counseling so rewarding. I call it "giving my life away to other." That is the best thing we can do with our lives...give it away!