Monday, December 6, 2010

Rescuers (or advice givers) get slaughtered.

It's been 5 days since I wrote. This usually happens around the new moon, as I am processing a lot. I don't like to write when I'm in the midst of stuff and can't see clearly. The issue that seems to be coming up for me lately concerns advice--both giving it and receiving it.

On the receiving end the lesson for me seems to be that it is disempowering to go to someone else seeking help. It's not that I haven't asked for help in the past. I have asked and I have been supported by some wonderful healers, psychics, and teachers. It just seems that these days the only true healing happens when I do it myself. I need to have the realizations on my own. I cannot stand someone else force feeding me their advice. Teachers are only worthwhile for me if they can give me tools that I can use myself. So teaching me how to do my own visualizations works; a psychic visualizing something for me doesn't. Being present with me while I explore a question works; someone else giving me the answer does not work.

On the giving end, I seem to be walking the razor's edge when offering advice. A few days ago a friend was telling me about his money issues, and I blurted out that he needed to look at his shadow. The problem was an internal one, not an external one. (This of course is true about everything.) This led him to have a huge realization that really shifted things for him. This discussion was still on my mind and I sent him an email today sharing some thoughts. That didn't go over well. He felt I betrayed his trust.

It seems to be a really tricky thing, when to talk and when not to. You can't make rules about never giving advice but my guess is that for me, I need to start erring on the side of not offering any advice. I also need to err on the side of not asking for advice as I usually wind up angry at the person giving it.

Rescuers get slaughtered, was a phrase in a book that I read recently. That is the truth. If you try to save somebody they will wind up getting angry with you. If someone tries to save you, you will wind up getting angry at them. Better that we all focus on saving ourselves.

No comments: