Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! Make intentions not resolutions.

I thought I'd take a break from preparing for my trip tomorrow ( a workshop in Denver) to wish everyone a happy new year.

This is, of course, a time of new beginnings. But rather than make new year's resolutions, I suggest that we all make intentions for the new year. What's the difference?

Resolutions are about fixing something that is wrong with us, correcting some bad habits:
  • I'll stop eating sugar
  • I'll lose 20 pounds
  • I'll work out more often.
  • I'll call my mother more often.

It's all about "shoulds"--doing what we should do because we're listening to someone out there who is making the rules. There is no joy or passion in resolutions, for they do not come from our heart. So we are bound to fail. I'll stop eating chocolate this year. Yeah, right.

Intentions are about creating something that comes from our heart, that gives us joy:

  • I intend to carve out time from my busy schedule to start writing (painting/sculpting/dancing/cooking... you fill in the blank, as long as it's something you enjoy).
  • I intend to take time out for myself and walk in nature.
  • I intend to open my heart and become more loving.

Intentions operate at a much higher level than resolutions. They skip over the small issues and go to the big picture, where our soul is calling us to go. They are empowering.

So what are my intentions for the new year?

  1. To create work that I am passionate about and that fulfills me.
  2. To create a partnership and friendships that are loving, joyful, and healing.
  3. To create a life that is abundant--that goes beyond surviving to thriving.
  4. To awaken to who I really am.

What are your intentions for 2011?

I look forward to hearing about them when I return on January 11.

No comments: